lunes, 18 de marzo de 2013

Twenty love poems and a song of despair... and after that, a satanic song!

After fulfilling the hard and delicate task of translating this poem, I realised that I may be a hopeless romantic, it´s just that I´ve never come to find anything that touches me this much.
Obviously it sounded way better in Spanish, but here is my try. Please feel free to correct anything and if so, send me your version!


POEM XX. From "Twenty love poems and a song of dispair", by Pablo Neruda.

I could write the saddest verses, this night.

I could write, for example, "Starry is the night,
and the stars tremble, blue, in the distance".

The wind of the night whirls in the sky, singing.

I could write the saddest verses, this night.
I loved her, and sometimes she also loved me.

Through nights like this night I held her on my arms.
So many times I kissed her under the infinite sky.

She loved me. Sometimes I also loved her.
How could I not love her large, staring eyes.

I could write the saddest verses, this night.
Knowing that I don´t have her. Feeling that I lost her.

Hearing the night immense, yet more immense without her.
And the verse falls into the soul, as dew drops fall on the grass.

Matters not that my love could not hold her.
Starry is the night and she is not with me.

That is all. In the distance someone sings. In the distance.
My soul cannot be content with losing her.

As trying to bring her close, my eyes search for her.
My heart searches for her and she is not with me.

The same night, whitening the same trees.
We, the ones we were then, are no longer the same.

I don´t love her anymore, I don´t. But how much I did.
My voice yearned for the wind, to touch her ear.

Someone else. She shall belong to someone else. As she belonged to my kisses.
Her voice, her pale body. Her infinite eyes.

I don´t love her anymore, I don´t. But maybe I do.
So brief love is, and so lasting is oblivion. 

For in nights like this night I held her on my arms,
My soul cannot be content with losing her.

Though may this be the last pain she inflicts on me,
and may these be the last verses I write for her.


Now, for bringing the tension down, a video of one of my favourite songs by my favourite band. Hope you like it! And I hope you listen until the end... Not many people did in previous attempts...


No hay comentarios: