viernes, 27 de diciembre de 2013

Being honest about abortion

I´m not a big fan of abortion. I tend to think that a foetus is a human life from the very moment it´s conceived. I´m conscious that it´s a remain of my education in a catholic school, but I don´t think (they taught me not to think) that abortion must be justified in case of, for example, an unwanted pregnancy that comes from teenage careless.
As a thinking adult though, I acknowledge, I have no idea when (which exact point of a pregnancy) a cell or a mass of cells becomes something that can be called "a person". This would take me to a reflection about the existence or non existence of such thing as "the human soul", but that´s not the point of this entry so I´m intentionally avoiding it.
But the truth is, I have this square thinking: a pregnancy that results from a deliberated imprudence does not give you the right to kill the future human being. Deal with the consequences of your acts... bitch! (jk).
Have the baby, then give it to adoption if you don´t want to be a mom.
Ok, this was just to say that I can´t justify "free abortion", even if it´s performed within the arbitrary limit of 12-14 weeks of pregnancy. That doesn´t mean that I want to force every 13 year old pregnant girl to deliver a baby, my ethics apply only to myself - I wouldn´t do it.
I also think that having an abortion because the foetus has, for example, Down´s, can in some cases be almost as immoral as an embryo selection to create a cute blond blue eyed baby. But again, that´s just something that I, personally, don´t think I could do.

About the new law on abortion, though...

I´m not a gynecologist, and none of my friends are. I have no economic interest in abortion practice. I will never be prosecuted for practising an illegal abortion. And I think this new law is absolutely wrong.

How can abortion be made illegal under the circumstance of "serious malformations"? I don´t know what I´d do if that was my case, but I can come up with a few "valid" reasons to abort:
- Why would parents want to bring a child to this world when he will be, without any doubts, doomed to a life (short life, in most cases) of physical suffering?
- Why would parents want to bring a child to this world when he will be doomed to a life of physical suffering... and they don´t have the economic resources to make his life a little less unbearable?
- Why would parents want to impose on their already born children the burden (and also the economic burden) of a seriously handicapped sibling?
- Is it fair that those healthy children grow up lacking their parents attention because they will in many cases need to devote all that attention to their "seriously malformed" child?

But, avoiding subjective ethical considerations..., did the government even think of the repercussions that this law will have on the already gasping national economy?
Does the government have the resources to finance this malformed children´s lives? The multiple surgeries, many of them only palliative, that they will need? The long lasting hospital admissions? It doesn´t.
Are Spanish cities well adapted for seriously malformed handicapped people? Nope.
Does the law protect the children´s interests by forcing them to live in helpless suffering? Doesn´t.
Does the government, then, under these considerations, have the authority to impose this law? Well, they did.

The way I see it, from the moment you get pregnant your body is not only yours to decide. But this is not only about women´s rights. This is not only about a bunch of crazy angry ladies showing their nude painted bodies in protest.
This is, or should be, about protecting women, families and children. And the way this law was conceived, the circumstances under which it´s going to be applied, it´s not going to serve this purpose: it can´t.

Makes a nice CV for Spain in the eyes of God though.





No hay comentarios: