miércoles, 5 de noviembre de 2014

Strangers in a train (and prehistorical hunting)

A girl sat in front of me in the train on my way to work this morning. She was wearing dark blue jeans, sneakers and a white sweater, her black curly hair in a ponytail. She was about my age, a little younger maybe. She was pretending or trying to study some handwritten notes, but she couldn´t stop looking at her phone over and over, eagerly. She kept going from her notes to the phone and back every half a minute or so, and she wouldn´t turn the page. She wasn´t texting, just waiting for someone else´s text that didn´t come. Notes, anxious, phone, disapointed, notes, anxious, phone, disapointed again. And she looked more anxious-fearful than anxious-excited. I decided she was lonely.
This girl made me think of how many lonely people take the train with me every morning. How many of us would not feel so lonely if we could just start a conversation with any other random lonely stranger in the wagon and share a few minutes of our day. How many of these people could be good friends of mine if we met in more proper circumstances, and we just miss it because well, you don´t start a conversation with a random stranger in a train at 8am.

I don´t like philosophy (I don´t like being forced to study someone else´s philosophy that will never prove itself more valid than my own) but I like things or moments or situations that make me get philosophical and I try not to miss the chance (or the inspiration). Or if I do, I always try to get the thought back later when the timing works. And this morning I thought about what this XXI century world gives us and what it deprives us of. About how lonely you can feel in a world where you are never alone. About how we have let our career ambitions become so important that we don´t have any time left for the really important things. Or maybe about how we can now find happiness in something that was originally conceived for being just the means to survive in a society.

Imagine a prehistoric twenty-something guy. He can proudly claim to be the best hunter of his tribe -- he hunts faster than the tribe can eat -- but he could still be even better. He knows about some guy a few tribes away who might hunt more bisons per moon. So he spends night after night sitting on the bear skin by the fireplace, reading the last updates on hunting techniques he just downloaded from his seasonal suscription to the American Journal of Hunting. In a different world, he could have gone hunting for a couple of hours every day to get the food he needs to feed his whole tribe, and then devote the remaining 22 hours of his day to be happy in whatever fucking tribal way. Instead, he is seriously considering not to have offspring with his prehistorical teenage girl, because that would keep him from spendind the nights reading the AJH by the fireplace.
So why doesn´t it sound absurd if we extrapolate to our days society?

But it´s late. I might be rambling...

No hay comentarios: