sábado, 1 de noviembre de 2014

Inscriptions on a wall

I got used to blogging in English and maybe to thinking in English too. I am thinking of ending this blog some time soon anyways, but until that happens, I will keep posting in English.
That said, I´m not gonna say that it´s been a long time since my last entry like I always do.
So let´s get it started.

I have wanted to write about this for more than a month now. You know I don´t give a fuck about patriotism, especially when it´s related to the great USA. But for some reason (which I know but am not gonna share) one thing in Columbus made me cry inside, and maybe a little bit outside too. The thing in question was these walls in Ohio Veterans Plaza:



I didn´t know what they were when I first saw them. They are two walls, in both borders of the plaza, showing inscriptions which are real transcriptions from letters that US soldiers sent to their loved ones while fighting in any of the multiple wars the US have been involved in.
Yes, this probably intends to enhace the american spirit of a united nation that I dislike (and despise) so much (paradoxical, I know, since I want to move there). But, forgetting about that, these are letters written by men who knew they would probably not come back to their people alive. And when I read what they wrote to their wives or girlfriends (or kids) I kind of felt (it´s taking me a good while to find the word) let´s say jealous/lonely/relieved. In a way, I envied those women who had someone who loved them until the last breath, whose last words were love words for them. Lonely, I don´t need to explain why. Relieved, same thing.
But I (stupid girly me) couldn´t help imagining I was one of those women, and wondering whether I would want that or not. Whether I would rather have and lose a love like that, or never experience it. And I don´t know the answer to that question yet, but for now I will take option A.

So I want to share some of the pictures I took of those inscriptions. That will be it. Bye for now.





No hay comentarios: