miércoles, 4 de febrero de 2015

Caught!

I'm reading a new book. New for me, I mean. And I want to share something.
I usually don't share parts of a book before finishing it, but with this one, Catch-22, I don't know... I'm liking it a lot, some paragraphs are just amazing, but it's not easy reading for me and I hate it but I'm afraid I might not finish it. And I'm telling you from page 36..., so yes, there's a real chance!
But I want to make this clear, if I don't finish it, it won't be because the book is not good enough, but because the reader isn't.

And now, the excerpts.


"In a way the C.I.D. man was pretty lucky, because outside the hospital the war was still going on. Men went mad and were rewarded with medals. All over the world, boys on every side of the bomb line were laying down their lives for what they had been told was their country, and no one seemed to mind, least of all the boys who were laying down their young lives."

"Actually, there were many officers' clubs that Yossarian had not helped build, but he was proudest of the one on Pianosa. It was a sturdy and complex monument to his powers of determination. Yossarian never went there to help until it was finished; then he went there often, so pleased was he with the large, fine, rambling shingled building. It was truly a splendid structure, and Yossarian throbbed with a mighty sense of accomplishment each time he gazed at it and reflected that none of the work that had gone into it was his."

"But there was no enthusiasm in Yossarian's group. In Yossarian's group there was only a mounting number of enlisted men and officers who found their way solemnly to Sergeant Towser several times a day to ask if the orders sending them home had come in. They were men who had finished their fifty missions. There were more of them now than when Yossarian had gone into the hospital, and they were still waiting. They worried and bit their nails. They were grostesque, like useless young men in a depression. They moved sideways, like crabs. They were waiting for the orders sending them home to safety to return from Twenty-seventh Air Force Headquarters in Italy, and while they waited they had nothing to do but worry and bite their nails and find their way solemnly to Sergeant Towser several times a day to ask if the order sending them home to safety had come."

I must say, not too often have I found so brilliant lines condensed in so very few pages!
So I really, really hope to have the strength, time and patience to finish it. I will let you know how it goes...

No hay comentarios: